As an integral part of the HQCA’s mandate to engage with Albertans about their experiences with the quality of health services they receive, the HQCA surveys Albertans about their experience at select emergency departments (EDs) in the province (see list below). We share the information we collect with Alberta Health Services to help inform future improvements.
For more information: Emergency department patient experience survey FAQ
We also report a selection of the results publicly via our online monitoring tool, FOCUS on Healthcare. The emergency department area of FOCUS on Healthcare features interactive charts that are updated quarterly (every three months) and present emergency department administrative data as well as patient experience survey data.
Adding Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMS) to our emergency department experience survey
Some patients who participate in the HQCA’s emergency department experience survey may be contacted by the HQCA to participate in an additional study that is testing a new questionnaire about emergency department outcomes. Click here for information about this study.
Currently, the HQCA conducts patient experience surveys in the following emergency departments:
- Alberta Children’s Hospital, Calgary
- Chinook Regional Hospital, Lethbridge
- Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary
- Grey Nuns Community Hospital, Edmonton
- Medicine Hat Regional Hospital, Medicine Hat
- Misericordia Community Hospital, Edmonton
- Northern Lights Regional Health, Fort McMurray
- Peter Lougheed Centre, Calgary
- Queen Elizabeth II, Grande Prairie
- Red Deer Regional Hospital, Red Deer
- Rockyview General Hospital, Calgary
- Royal Alexandra Hospital, Edmonton
- South Health Campus, Calgary
- Stollery Children’s Hospital, Edmonton
- Sturgeon Community Hospital, St. Albert
- University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton
Historical provincial emergency department survey reports can be found using the navigation menu on this page.